Delaware County, NY - Genealogy and History Site
Centennial History of Delaware County, New York : 1797-1897
edited by David Murray, LL.D.
Transcribed by Tamara Sanford
Written for this History.
THE present town of Stamford was formerly a part of Ulster county, or as it was termed "Original County;" that it was a county organized before New York State was under its first constitution as a state. An Act to divide the Province of New York into provinces, shires and counties was passed November 1, 1683. The act provided: "That the said province be divided into twelve counties," to wit: City and County of New York, Westchester, Ulster, Dutchess, Orange, Richmond, Kings, Queens, Suffolk, Dukes and Cornwall. The two latter counties were afterward surrendered to Massachusetts.
The first known settlers in the town were Dr. Stewart and John and Alex More, who emigrated from Scotland in 1773. Two years afterwards they were followed by James Stewart, William Fraser, Simon Fraser, Daniel and Abijah Bennett. Others who came were Elijah Baldwin, son of Caleb Baldwin, a captain in the Revolutionary army, who came to Stamford early in 1792, Philander Smith, a practicing physician, Stephen Beers, a native of Stamford, Conn., Heth Griffin, Burton Judson, Isaac Gould, Benj. Gilbert. These pioneers located in what was called the Township Valley, on Town Brook, and about five miles from its mouth. It was the intention of the early settlers to make this place the center of business. Accordingly an act was passed by the Legislature, surveys made and a town plot, one mile square, was laid out into plots forty rods square, with eight streets running at right angles. For a new country this locality was quite thickly settled previous to the Revolution, most of the settlers coming from Stamford, Conn. The Indians and Tories drove them out and many of them were compelled, to return to their native State. But with the close of the war they returned and again sought the beautiful valley.
Many of the settlers being from Stamford, Fairfield county, Connecticut, the name of their former place of residence was given to this locality, and it was called New Stamford. Two years later (April 6, 1790) an Act of the Legislature authorized the laying out of a road through to the Delaware and Susquehanna valleys. The road extended, from near the mouth of the Ouleout to the Hudson river. For that purpose the land commissioners were authorized to draw from the state treasury a sum "not exceeding eight hundred pounds." The contract for building this road was awarded to Nathaniel Wattles and Medad Hunt, but proving ruinous the contractors were relieved in 1793 by a further grant of one hundred and twenty pounds. The advantages of a road built by the state elated the people and in a comparatively short time the number of settlers increased; mills were built and an air of activity prevailed throughout the country.
The number of settlers increased so rapidly that the formation of a new town was desired. This section was then embraced in the town of Woodstock, as the territory of that town then extended to the Delaware river. An application for that purpose was made to the Legislature, which on April 10, 1792, enacted as follows:
" All that part of the town of Woodstock in the county of Ulster bounded West by the west bounds of the county of Ulster, South by the north bounds of Middletown, East by a line to begin on the side bounds of Middletown, two miles east of Papacton river, and running northerly to a monument number seventeen at the head of said Papacton river, and thence continuing the same course northerly until it meets the line of Albany county, shall be erected into a separate town by the name of Stamford, and the first town meeting in Stamford shall be held at the house of Peter Knapp."
This meeting was held on Tuesday, April 2, 1793. Patrick Lane was superintendent of the meeting and Peter Osborn moderator. These officers were elected for one year: George Squires, town clerk; Samuel Ingersoll, constable; Andrew Beers, supervisor; Joshua Wright, Silas Knapp, Abijah Bennett, assessors; Daniel Bennett, Samuel Merriam, Israel Inman, commissioners of highways; Hugh Rose and James Grant, overseers of poor; George McKenna, Ezra Hart, Peter Osborn, Alien Grant, Salmon Mallett, Jacob Smither, John Wright, district roadmasters; Abraham Gould, Ezra Hait, Simon Frasier, fence viewers and damage 'prisers; Peter Shearman, Zalmon Tousey, Israel Inman, pound masters. The next annual town meeting was held at the house of Philo Norton.
The question of a new county became a subject for consideration as the settlement increased between the Delaware and Susquehanna rivers. On the 10th of March, 1797, by an Act of the Legislature the county of Delaware became a fact. The entire territory of the county at first comprised the towns of Stamford, Harpersfield, Kortright, Franklin, Middletown and Colchester, but a short time afterward the town of Walton was added.
When first formed the town of Stamford had an area of 81,000 acres. It possessed all that part of the county of Delaware lying north of the northern bounds of Great Lot No. 40 in the Hardenburgh Patent. The direct length of its south line was about sixteen and three-fourth miles, and of its eastern line about eleven and one-half miles. Its northern line was eleven, miles and its western side, direct from corner to corner, about thirteen and one-fourth miles. About two years afterward its area was reduced more than half by the formation of the town of Roxbury. In 1820 it sustained another loss of territory by the erection of the town of Bovina. Ten years later (1830) six lots were taken from Harpersfield at the village of Hobart and annexed to Stamford.
Prior to 1820 the town meetings were held down the Delaware and on Rose's Brook, with one exception, (1794) when it was held at the house of Abel Watkins in the Town Plat. Town meetings were subsequently held at the Masonic hall in Waterville, now Hobart, and the town house has ever since been located there.
The first justice of the peace elected was Duncan McDonald, who was elected at the annual town meeting held April 6, 1830. The methods of voting for town officers prior to 1822 was by viva voco, raising the hand, or by the voters arranging themselves on either side of the room and being counted. The first justices being made by appointment no record is obtainable. But by official signatures it is found that Patrick Lamb held the office in 1793, being succeeded by Benjamin Ackerly, 1794, Andrew Beers, 1795; Isaac Hardenburg, 1796, Hugh Rose, 1797, Asahel E. Paine, 1802, Elijah Canfield, 1803, etc.
In 1860 a town insurance company was formed with these officers: Jacob B. Van Housen, Charles Griffin, Henry Pratt, Nelson L. Thorp, Cyrenus Gibbs, Lyman Wilcox, Frances B. Gilbert, Wm. B. Beckley and Robt. T. Hume. Mr. Wilcox was chosen president, and Mr. Gilbert secretary.
The following from Stamford have been Members of Assembly: Patrick Lamb, 1800; John Lamb, 1803; Anthony Marvin, 1805-06; Robert Clark, 1813; James G. Redfield, 1829; John Griffin, 1836; Orrin Griffin, 1842; Orrin Foote. 1846; Daniel Stewart, 1853; John Haxten, 1856; Frances B. Gilbert, 1863-64; Isaac H. Maynard, 1876-77; John S. McNaught, 1879.
In 1850 Levinus Monson of Hobart was elected a Justice of the Supreme Court (Sixth Judicial district). Only one man from Stamford was ever elected to the office of County Judge, Isaac H. Maynard in 1878.
Those residents of the town who have been elected and served as Sheriffs of the county are Duncan J. Grant, 1835-37; DeWitt C. Thomas, 1847-49; Baldwin Griffin, 1859-61; William B. Clark, 1877-79.
Many volunteers from Stamford helped to form the 144th Regiment, which left Delhi for the front on Sept. 27, 1862. Among those who enlisted were Wesley W. Sanford, Omer Champlin, Beers Grant, James Grant, and many others whose names we have not space to mention.
Among those who resided, in the town a century ago were: Stephen Adams, Samuel Adee, David Austin, Samuel Babbit, Sylvanus Brigham, Andrew Beers, John Bennett, Amos Baldwin, Thomas Brooks, James Bouton, Asa Beach, Archibald Burgess, Thomas Crosby, Alexander Cummings, Heman Dewey, Samuel Davis, Daniel Foote, Joshua Ferris, James Grant, Isaac Gould, Heth Griffin, John Hayes, Ezra Hoyt, Eseck Inman, Benjamin Jones, Jabez Jennings, Silas and Peter Knapp, Joseph Keator, John and William Lamb, Daniel Lynch, Nathan Lee, John Mallett, George McKenney, Alexander McDonald, Elisha Maynard, Asa Norton, John Polly, Solomon Parsons, Hugh Rose, Daniel Robinson, Aaron Rollins, Joshua Simmons, David Smith, John Sherman, Ebenezer Sturgess, Thomas Taylor, Nathaniel Tiffany, Charles Tucker, Henry Voorhis, Demar Wheeler, Joshua Wright, Anthony Wilber, Daniel Woolsey, William Yeomans.
With increased business came the needs of a bank, and on October 24, 1863, the First National Bank of Hobart was established in that village. Previous to the above date the banks at Kingston and Catskill had been used by depositors. The first board of directors was made up of Frederic W. Foote, John M. Olmstead, Russell D. Baird, John Griffin, Robt. I. Hume, Robt. McNaught, John Cowan. Mr. Foote was chosen president, and John M. Olmstead cashier. The capital at first was $50,000, which was afterwards increased to $100,000. In 1872 Mr. Foote resigned his position and Mr. Olmstead was chosen to succeed him as president. In 1881 the bank went into voluntary liquidation. To the credit of the institution it may be said that during the eighteen years of its existence it never missed declaring a dividend, and during that time it paid to its stockholders about $130,000. In 1872 Mr. F. W. Foote started a private banking house, which was known as the Exchange Bank. Its business career was short lived.
It was on November 12, 1881, that the Stamford National Bank was organized with a capital of $50,000, which was increased in 1886 to $75,000. The bank began business early in 1882 with these officers: M. Fredenburgh, S. W. Hubbard, J. H. Merchant, I. H. Maynard, Stephen Van Dusen, E. W. Churchill, Edgar Johnson, N. K. Wilson, R. G. Dayton. Mr. Fredenburgh was the first president, and Mr. Hubbell the first cashier. The present officers are J. H. Merchant, president; C. L. Andrus, vice-president; G. W. Kendall, cashier. Directors, E. W. Churchill, Stephen Van Dusen, Heth Griffin, H. S. Wood, E. W. Gallup, E. L. Seeley.
The National Bank of Hobart was established Dec. 6, 1890, with a capital of $50,000. The first officers were J. R. Cowan, president; J. M. Olmstead, vice-president; J. A. Scott, cashier. The same gentlemen are still retained in office, with the exception of Mr. Olmstead, who has been succeeded by O.I. Bennett as vice-president. The directors are J. R. Cowan, J. M. Olmstead, Jacob Lawrence, J. E. Bush, O. I. Bennett, John Bell.
The first fraternal organization in the town of Stamford was that of St. Andrew's Lodge, F. & A. M., No. 48, chartered April 12, 1796. Andrew Beers was the first master; John French senior warden and James Laughran junior warden. The first by-laws adopted, or at least recorded, were on December 26, 1796. The first number, 48, was renumbered 45, and the charter was forfeited (presumably for not making returns to the Grand Lodge) in 1832. The old warrant of St. Andrew's Lodge was returned to the Grand Lodge August 11, 1852. On September 4, 1852, a dispensation was issued to Harry Andrews, Elisha Wetmore, William McCaughan, Agnus McDonald, Alexander Stewart, B. Lyon and Joseph B. Hunt to erect a lodge at Hobart. Harry Andrews was named as master; Elisha Wetmore senior warden, and William McCaughan junior warden. A warrant was issued to these brethren as St. Andrew's Lodge, No. 289, June 8, 1853. This last warrant or charter is the one under which St. Andrew's Lodge is now working. St. Andrew's Mark Master's Lodge was an off-shoot of St. Andrew's Lodge, and is not the first Masonic lodge organized in Delaware county as has erroneously been recorded. The first records obtainable of any minutes bear date March 6, 1798. The officers were Andrew Beers, master; David G. Wainwright, senior warden; Robert G. Wetmore junior warden; John S. Bradford, tiler. The lodge of Mark Master Masons was formed about the time the Grand Chapter of the State was organized. On February 4, 1802, a Chapter of Royal Arch Masons was organized, Andrew Beers being chosen high priest; John Lamb, king; and Erastus Root, scribe. The number of this chapter was 14. The original charter of St. Andrew's Chapter is now in the possession of Delta Chapter No. 185, R. A. M. of the village of Stamford, being the legitimate and lineal descendant of old St. Andrew's No. 14. St. Andrew's Lodge and St. Andrew's Chapter were the first of the order in Delaware county. The first meetings of St. Andrew's Lodge were held at the house of Andrew Beers, and at other members' homes. Some time later a masonic hall was built near St. Peter's Episcopal church in Hobart. The building, a frame structure, was moved to its present site more than sixty years ago, after having been abandoned for lodge purposes. It is now used as a tenement. The present masonic hall at Hobart was built in 1889. St. Andrew's Lodge is more than one hundred years old, its centennial having been celebrated at Hobart on October 8, 1896, at which time Major George C. Gribbs of Stamford was the historian, and to him the writer is indebted for much data concerning the Masonic organizations. St. Andrew's Lodge has a membership of about one hundred. The present officers are: G. A. Young, master; Walter Kniskern, senior warden; William Barrett, junior warden; Norman K. Silliman, secretary; John Telford, treasurer; Robert C. Blackburn, senior deacon; W. Frank Clark, junior deacon; John Coon, tyler.
Delta Chapter, No. 185, was organized Feb. 8, 1865. The first officers were, Michael Karen, High Priest; Robt. S. Brownell, King; Oliver D. Young, Scribe; S. B. Champion, Secretary. Regular convocations are held in the village of Stamford. The present officers are, A. L. Van Dusen, High Priest; E. W. Landon, King; J. W. Baldwin, Scribe; Johnson Hamilton, treasurer; Geo. O. Leonard, secretary. There are sixty-five members.
Hobart Lodge, No. 339, I. O. O. F., was organized March 7, 1848, with these officers: Dr. Galvin C. Covel, noble grand; Baldwin Griffin, vice-grand; John McDonald, treasurer. Capt. John B. Baldwin was the first member to die, March 7, 1850. The present officers are noble grand, D. J. Young; vice-grand, Freeman Keyser; secretary, Geo. A. Young; treasurer, Justus Cobbe; warden, J. E. Butler. This lodge is the parent Odd Fellows' organization of Delaware county. The lodge celebrated its fiftieth anniversary last spring.
FIRE DEPARTMENT, STAMFORD.
The organization of a fire department for the village of Stamford was perfected June 16, 1870. The first apparatus purchased was a hand engine of the Button make. It was a second hand machine, bought for $250, in Rome, N. Y., by Maj. Geo. C. Gribbs and Harvey S. Wood, a committee appointed for that purpose by the board of trustees. Major Gribbs was appointed chief of the department and A. M. Martin assistant chief. A company consisting of thirty-five men was immediately organized to run with the machine, the company retaining the title, "Fort Stanwix Engine Co.," that being the original name of the engine while it was owned in Rome. John M. Bennett was elected foreman. The machine is still in commission but is not much used owing to the splendid system of water works with which the village is supplied. The present officers of the fire department are Geo. O. Leonard, chief; A. L. Van Dusen, 1st assistant; J. Gr. Dean, 2d assistant; E. L. McArthur, clerk.
Stamford Hose Co. No.1 was organized Nov. 21, 1883. The present officers are, Wm. Myers, foreman; A.L. Mattice, assistant; W. P. More, secretary; Eugene Stoutenburgh, treasurer.
I. H. Maynard Hose Co. No. 2, .was organized April 17, 1889. John Dooley is foreman; F. A. Maynard, assistant; E. L. McArthur, secretary: A. E. Fink, treasurer.
S. E. Churchill Hook and Ladder Co. was organized Oct. 2, 1895. The officers are E. C. Hanford, foreman; C. E. Smith, assistant; J. A. Tooley, secretary; D. C. Hoagland, treasurer.
The business of the village having increased to such an extent that the need of a better supply of water for fire and domestic use became imperative. On February 2, 1881, the present excellent system of water works was established. An organization was formed and a company, capitalized at $20,000, immediately began business. The directors were S. E. Churchill, J. P. Grant, S. W. Hubbell, L. H. Maynard, J. C. Van Dyke, Johnson Hamilton, F. G. Rulifson, Edgar Johnson and E. W. Churchill. S. E. Churchill was elected president; J. P. Grant, secretary; S. W. Hubbell, treasurer; F. G. Rulifson, superintendent.
A reservoir was constructed about one and one-half miles north of the village and mains laid throughout the various streets. October 29, 1892, the capital of the company was increased to $30,000, and again on March 3, 1897, to $45,000. This last increase of capital was for the purpose of building another reservoir about a mile further north of the original one and to put down an increased number of mains. The new reservoir was constructed early in the summer of 1895, at a cost of $16,000. The water works is one of the best in the state of its size and an abundance of pure spring water is supplied the citizens. There are twenty-six fire hydrants located about the village at important points. The pressure of water is 124 pounds to the square inch. The present officers are: J. C. Van Dyke, president; J. B. Cowan, vice-president; William Whitney, secretary; R. H. Barner, treasurer; Johnson Hamilton, superintendent; C. A. Crowell, A. M. Warner, W. V. Gillespie, E. W. Churchill, directors; George O. Leonard, Collector.
The first school commissioners of the town were Joseph Hurd, Silas Knapp and Francis Burritt, who were elected at the annual meeting in 1796. On Feb. 3, 1813, the town was divided into nine school districts, the commissioners, Charles B. Perry, Aaron Blish, and Daniel McGillivrae, being elected at a special meeting held in January of that year. The first inspectors of schools were Robert Forest, William Kedzie, Joseph D. Beers, Matthew DeWitt, Robt. Gleason and Abel Watkins. The first school building stood on the east side of Delaware street near the railroad creasing, in a corner of the lot of the present residence of Mrs. I. H. Maynard. Small select school had been kept at various times and in different parts of the town, but it was not until 1851 that the citizens were induced to contribute toward the erection of the Stamford Seminary building. The building finally passed into the hands of Charles G. Churchill, who built a boarding hall in connection with the school. The building later passed into other hands and is devoted to private enterprises. It was not, however, until 1874 that the "Stamford Seminary" was incorporated under board of regents, and on the 30th of May the corner stone of the present splendid structure was laid. The building with its appurtenances, exclusive of site, cost $12,000. A bell weighing 300 pounds was subsequently bought by private subscription. In the seminary building was kept the books of the Judson Library Association, named after Samuel Judson, jr., who bequeathed to the association $1,500 upon condition that the citizens of the village would contribute an equal amount of money. This being done the Library Association was formed with a board of trustees composed of S. E. Churchill, J. C. Van Dyke, J. H. McKee and I. H. Maynard. The library contains about 3,000 volumes. The establishment of a Union Free School was not perfected until August, 1881, when school districts No. 1 of Stamford, No. 15 of Jefferson and No. 5 of Harpersfield were consolidated and the Union Free School system was perfected. The first trustees were Norman K. Wilcox, Van Zandt Wyckoff, S. B. Champion, S. I. Brown, Harvey S. Wood, H. S. Preston, I. H. Maynard, S. E. Churchill, John Hagar. I. H. Maynard was elected president and Van Zandt Wyckoff secretary. The seminary building was secured and has since been used. The first principal was Robt M. Hughes. He was succeeded by Adelbert Gardenier, 1884; F. M. Smith, 1887; James Blakesley, 1890; J.B. Hastings, 1892; James A. Tooley, 1893. The present principal is Prof. S. L. Howe, who was engaged in 1896. The present board of trustees consists of H. P. Hubbell, president; S. E. Churchill, J. H. Merchant, C. L. Andrus, H. C. Lawrence, S. I. Brown, J. A. Tooley, A. W. Terry, E. E. Van Dyke. W. H. McAlpine is clerk. The school has an attendance of about 300 pupils.
Hobart is a small village in the town of Stamford and about four miles west of the latter village. It has a population of about 650 and is the oldest portion of the town of Stamford. The place was originally known as Waterville, presumably taking its name from the excellent water power which the Delaware river affords at this point. The settlement was at one time called "Tinkertown" from the fact that a man living here appropriated to his use a full set of tinker's tools belonging to another man. The Rev. Philander Chase, the first rector of St. Peter's Episcopal church, suggested that the village be named after Bishop Hobart of New Jersey, which was done.
The village was incorporated early in the spring of 1888. The first meeting of the board of trustees was held on May 31 of that year. The first President of the village was Dr. J. S. McNaught; Trustees, J. K. Odell, S. D. Kerr, John Robinson; Treasurer, Case Ostrander; Collector, O. B. Barlow; Clerk, A. H. Grant. The present officers of the village are: President, James B. Cowan; Trustees, Jacob Lawrence, Oscar I. Bennett; Treasurer, William S. Thomson; Clerk, A. S. Carroll.
George Foote kept the first tavern, where the old Mansion House building now stands.
Cyrus Beers opened the first store, on the same ground where the store of J. W. Griffin is located.
The first physician in Hobart was Dr. Joshua H. Brett, who was also the first judge of Delaware county. Other physicians were Drs. Gregory, Hanford, Howard, and J. S. McNaught, the last of whom has been supervisor of the town and represented the district in the Assembly. Dr. McNaught is still in active practice and one of the prominent citizens of the village.
The first lawyers were J. B. Spencer and Andrew Beers, the latter being known as the almanac maker. Some of his almanacs are still in existence.
William Trotter was the first postmaster at the village, and James B. Rich is the present incumbent. George Foote built the first carding mill. He also built a woolen factory, and the water to run both mills was taken from the same dam, which although frequently rebuilt still remains and does good service. The foundry now operated by John Robinson was built by Charles Whiting in the winter of 1849. Mr. Robinson has owned and conducted the foundry for nearly forty years.
The Hobart Agricultural Society was organized June 17, 1876, with these officers: President, D. C. Sharpe; Vice-Presidents, Samuel H. Stevens, E. A. Gallup, Charles S. Stevens, H. Meeker; Secretary, B. S. McNaught; Treasurer, James S. Kerr. The first exhibition of the society was held October 10-12, 1876. The grounds and buildings are south of the village. The society has not held annual exhibitions in several years, not a sufficient interest being manifested to ensure its success.
The Union School of Hobart was organized in 1891, when the present building was constructed at a cost of about $7,000, which includes the furnishings. The building was enlarged in 1895 by the erection of an addition. The board of education consists of James B. Cowan, president; A. S. Carroll, secretary; James B. Rich, treasurer; James A. Scott, B. Hume Grant, William H. McClelland. There is a well stocked library containing about 2,000 volumes attached to the school. Prof. George J. Dann is the principal, and Martha Belle Scott preceptress. The school is now known as the Hobart High School.
The fire department was organized August 5, 1886, the first company being called Star Hose Co. No. 1. In 1894 this company was incorporated under the name of the Cascade Hose Co. About the time of the organization of the Star Hose Co. a small hand fire engine was bought in New York. It at one time belonged to Engine Co. No. 41, of the volunteer department of that city. The company organized to run with this machine was called Clinton Engine Co. No data of the formation of this company is obtainable. The "old tub," as it is sometimes called, is still in service but not much used owing to the village being supplied with water works. The officers of this company are J. E. Butler, foreman; J. C. McMurdy, secretary; C. E. Hanford, treasurer. The officers of Cascade Hose Co. are W. J. H. Robinson, foreman; Charles L. Shakelton, assistant; A. S. Carroll, secretary; C. E. Hanford, treasurer. Justus Cobbe is chief of the department, and A. S. Carroll, assistant.
The Mansion House, which is now closed, is the oldest hotel in the place. It was built more than seventy years ago. For many years the hotel was conducted by Clayton Weeks. The last landlord was Jesse Minor. The Barrett House, William Barrett, proprietor, is the only public house at present in the village.
The Hobart Water Company began business in 1887, the capital stock of the company being $12,000. The officers are: President; W. B. Brock; Secretary, Charles T. Leonard; Treasurer, J. S. McNaught; Superintendent, Robert McNaught.
There is but one newspaper published in the village, the Hobart Independent. This paper was established in 1885 by J. B. Rich, who in 1890 sold it to Mr. A. J. Champion of Stamford. The latter conducted the paper but a few months when it passed into the hands of I. L. Brayman of Walton. In 1891 Mr. Frank B. Mayham, the present publisher, secured control of the paper and changed its tone to that of the Democracy.
The first creamery in the village was established in 1888 by L. B. Halsey of New York and J. V. Jordan of Newburgh, under the firm name of Jordan & Halsey. The name of the creamery was afterward changed to that of the Sheffields Farm Creamery. Last spring some of the farmers became dissatisfied with the price offered them for milk and withdrew their patronage. As a result of this movement a co-operative association was formed by a large number of the farmers and the Hobart Dairy Condensing Company (limited) was organized. A substantial two-story building has been erected near the railroad station, which cost fully equipped $15,000. James A. Cowan is president; O. B. Foote, vice-president; S. O. Bennett, secretary; J. B. Stevenson, treasurer.
Stamford is one of the most picturesque and healthy villages it the State. It is about 162 miles from New York and seventy-four from Kingston. It is familiarly spoken of as the "Saratoga of the Catskills," being quite noted as a summer resort. Its altitude is about 1,800 feet above tide water. The village is reached by rail over the Ulster & Delaware railroad, which was built as far as Stamford in December, 1872. Later the road was completed to Bloomville, thirteen miles distant.
The village was incorporated May 19, 1870. The first president was Isaac H. Maynard, and the first board of trustees Charles Griffin, J. B. Van Housen, J. W. Maynard, E. W. Churchill, H. S. Wood. On February 19, 1873, by an Act of the Legislature the area of the corporation was reduced to its present limits. The village lies at the base of Mount Utsayantha whose towering summit is reached by a two mile drive. From this point the entire range of the Catskills, the Hudson river valley and the Berkshire hills are plainly visible in clear weather.
The village is handsomely laid out and has several well shaded streets. There is a normal population of about 1,000, but in the summer months this number is increased nearly four-told. The village contains a number of large hotels and commodious boarding houses and numerous pretty cottages, some of which are owned by citizens of New York, Philadelphia and other cities, by whom they are occupied in the summer months. There are four churches (referred to below), a public school and several substantial business blocks. The citizens are progressive, enterprising and take a natural pride in the village. Among the important hotels are Churchill Hall and Rexmere, under the management of S. E. Churchill; the Grant House. J. P. Grant, proprietor; the Hamilton House, A. E. Tallmadge, proprietor; and the Delaware House, Fred M. Tingley, proprietor. The latter house is one of the old landmarks of the place. It was built in the early part of the present century by Lemuel Lamb, who was its landlord for several years. The "tavern" was a small red frame building and originally but a story and a half in height. Daniel Clark, however, is said to have kept the first public house in the town.
The Mirror office was built by S. B. Champion in the summer of 1870, the frame being raised on the 6th of July of that year.
In 1893 Granthurst Park was annexed to the corporation. It is located on the heights overlooking the village and is surrounded by the handsome residences of some of the more wealthy citizens.
The Stamford Electric Light Company wag organized April, 1892, with a capital of $20,000. The present officers are J. P. Grant, president; J. K. Grant, secretary; S. E. Churchill, treasurer; J. Corbin, manager.
Of the three newspapers in the town the Stamford Mirror is the oldest. This paper was established in 1851, by Simon B, Champion, who had previously printed a newspaper in the village of Bloomville. Mr. Champion is the oldest publisher in the county and one of the few veteran editors in the state actively engaged in country journalism. He became a resident of Stamford in 1870, having moved from Bloomville. The Mirror is Democratic in tone and principle and its venerable editor is highly esteemed by all classes. Mr. Champion has held many positions of trust in his town. Mr. A. J. Champion is assistant editor of the Mirror and Mr. Clifford Champion its business manager.
The Stamford Recorder was established in the village in April, 1892, by a company composed of representative Republicans who desired an exponent of their political faith. The name of the corporation is The Stamford Printing and Publishing Company, and the printing plant of the Andes Recorder was purchased of William Clark, who became editor and manager of the Stamford Recorder. In August, 1894, Mr. Clark resigned and Edward A. Ackley has been the editor and manager since that time.